Things to do
Surrounded by history, No.fifty6 is the perfect base from which to explore the region of Picardy and the Somme.
THE SOMME BATTLE EXPERIENCE – WALK WITH ME.
Whether you’ve been to the Somme before or visiting for the first time, David and Julie offer a battlefield experience like no other. Don’t expect a dry, old history lesson here. Their passion and knowledge of WW1 history is brought to life as they take you through a fully immersive, emotional journey and sensory experience.
Whether you’re interested in tracking down family ties or simply interested in the history, your hosts will personalise your experience with real, individual stories and accounts of life as a soldier in 1916.
A SLICE OF FRENCH LIFE
From coffee to cognac, painting to photography, shopping to people watching, the nearby towns offer a taste of French life at its best.
- Take a coffee in Albert Square and marvel at the Basilica
- Fill your suitcase with gifts from the Christmas markets in Arras and Amiens
- Enjoy the beautiful countryside and quietly watch the native wildlife
- Go on a steam train at Le p'tit train de la Haute Somme
- Experience the big town atmosphere on a day out to Lille or Paris
- Enjoy fine French dining at one of many wonderful restaurants
- At the end of the day, relax with interesting people in the warm, candle lit lounge at No.fifty6
We are happy to recommend places to visit and restaurants to eat at in the evenings. If you would like any further information, please contact us.
31st January 2018
The dawn of the New Year brought a very wet, windy and grey January. We have had above average rainfall, mild temperatures, some dry days but endless grey skies. The local paper even declares where has the sun gone? We had one blue-sky day in January. The weather has not stopped us doing things and at least it is mild with no snow and ice!
This month we have been busy with continuing work at No.fifty6 to get things ready for Spring, many meetings attended and battlefield explorations undertaken. With the centenary of the last battles of the Great War there will be plenty happening on The Somme.