Things to do
Surrounded by history, No.fifty6 is the perfect base from which to explore the region of Picardy and the Somme.
THE SOMME BATTLE EXPERIENCE – WALK WITH ME.
Whether you’ve been to the Somme before or visiting for the first time, David and Julie offer a battlefield experience like no other. Don’t expect a dry, old history lesson here. Their passion and knowledge of WW1 history is brought to life as they take you through a fully immersive, emotional journey and sensory experience.
Whether you’re interested in tracking down family ties or simply interested in the history, your hosts will personalise your experience with real, individual stories and accounts of life as a soldier in 1916.
A SLICE OF FRENCH LIFE
From coffee to cognac, painting to photography, shopping to people watching, the nearby towns offer a taste of French life at its best.
- Take a coffee in Albert Square and marvel at the Basilica
- Fill your suitcase with gifts from the Christmas markets in Arras and Amiens
- Enjoy the beautiful countryside and quietly watch the native wildlife
- Go on a steam train at Le p'tit train de la Haute Somme
- Experience the big town atmosphere on a day out to Lille or Paris
- Enjoy fine French dining at one of many wonderful restaurants
- At the end of the day, relax with interesting people in the warm, candle lit lounge at No.fifty6
We are happy to recommend places to visit and restaurants to eat at in the evenings. If you would like any further information, please contact us.
31st March 2019
March, always capricious has been a month of two halves weather-wise. The first half was wet, windy and chilly. We had a week of windstorms with gusts up to 100km/h which saw tree damage and electricity lines down in many parts of the Somme. Luckily, apart from a few wayward branches on our trees and a few roof slates, (now repaired) we had no lasting damage. The second half of March has been warm and the blue skies are back. A beautiful weekend of Spring weather saw us put the clocks forward one hour on Saturday night. Spring really has arrived. It has been a busy month here, guests finding their way to our door and even a few outings for ourselves to discover new places.Read more