Things to do
Surrounded by history, No.fifty6 is the perfect base from which to explore the region of Picardy and the Somme.
THE SOMME BATTLE EXPERIENCE – WALK WITH ME.
Whether you’ve been to the Somme before or visiting for the first time, David and Julie offer a battlefield experience like no other. Don’t expect a dry, old history lesson here. Their passion and knowledge of WW1 history is brought to life as they take you through a fully immersive, emotional journey and sensory experience.
Whether you’re interested in tracking down family ties or simply interested in the history, your hosts will personalise your experience with real, individual stories and accounts of life as a soldier in 1916.
A SLICE OF FRENCH LIFE
From coffee to cognac, painting to photography, shopping to people watching, the nearby towns offer a taste of French life at its best.
- Take a coffee in Albert Square and marvel at the Basilica
- Fill your suitcase with gifts from the Christmas markets in Arras and Amiens
- Enjoy the beautiful countryside and quietly watch the native wildlife
- Go on a steam train at Le p'tit train de la Haute Somme
- Experience the big town atmosphere on a day out to Lille or Paris
- Enjoy fine French dining at one of many wonderful restaurants
- At the end of the day, relax with interesting people in the warm, candle lit lounge at No.fifty6
We are happy to recommend places to visit and restaurants to eat at in the evenings. If you would like any further information, please contact us.
31st October 2017
October – One of our favourite months with a certain lady at No.fifty6 having an October birthday - and we cannot believe the weather this month. Warm, sunny days for most of October with many guests making the most of the last sunshine, exploring then sitting in the garden with afternoon drinks. And as always, there has been plenty to keep us on our toes this month. Thank you to those who comment on the blog, send us emails, photos etc. We never thought when we started No.fifty6 we would meet so many wonderful people who have enriched our lives in countless ways. 1st November in France is Toussaint - All Saints Day - the day families remember the dead and civilian cemeteries are filled with pretty flowers. It is a holiday here, so Bonne Fete!Read more